Mission San Fernando is a peaceful hideaway located in the midst of urban sprawl. The second historic mission built in the Los Angeles area (after San Gabriel) was founded September 8, 1797, and named for St. Ferdinand, King of Spain. Just 20 miles north of downtown Los Angeles, the mission serves as an active parish church and cultural center for people of all faiths. The church layout contains characteristics of other California Missions - dark wooden benches, white walls and mosaic tiles - but has an eye-catching Baroque alter carved in Spain in 1687. Originally destined for the Los Angeles cathedral, it was instead gifted to the mission. A small museum chronicling the museum's history resides on the premises.
Well-maintained walkways and graceful arches lead through the buildings up to statues recounting the mission's history. A small cemetery on the far side of the church, near the Bob Hope Memorial where the comedian is laid to rest, contains a monument to the Native Americans buried here.
Across from the compound is Brand Park which contains an original mission fountain and a statue of Father Junipero Serra, the founding father of the California missions.
- 9am to 4:30pm daily
- Adults: $4, Children: $3
- Location: 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd., Mission Hills, CA
- Phone: 818-361-0186