The Loeb Boathouse in Central Park, a respite from concrete chaos, provides opportunities to enjoy the outdoors without leaving the city. Situated on the northeastern tip of 22-acre Central Park Lake, the boathouse offers rowboat and bicycle rentals, Venetian gondola rides, butterfly and bird watching, and a picturesque lakeside deck where you can enjoy a full-service, New York-class meal.
Calvert Vaux, the architect who developed Central Park in conjunction with writer Frederick Law Olmstead, designed the original boathouse in 1874, where it stood at the east side of the lake until burning down in the 1950s. Thanks largely to a donation from investment banker Carl Loeb, the new and current boathouse opened in 1954.
The Loeb Boathouse features the Central Park Boathouse Restaurant, the city's only lakeside fine dining, where you can enjoy daily lunch, weekend brunch, and seasonal dinner, all to the strumming and crooning of nearby street musicians. Try the Boathouse Salad, complete with vine-ripened tomatoes, feta, and black olive vinaigrette, or perhaps the Berkshire Pork Medallions with ample sauerkraut, Macintosh apples, and a Martinelli's Apple Cider reduction. If you prefer to pay less for location, the restaurant additionally supplies an outdoor bar and grill and an express cafe to suit a variety of dining needs year round. The boathouse, with its banquet hall opening to the lake and garden, is also host to weddings and conferences.
- Lakeside Dining: Lunch: Monday through Friday: 12pm to 4pm, Dinner (April through November): Monday through Friday: 5:30pm to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday: 6pm to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday Brunch: 9:30am to 4pm
- Bar and Grill: Opens at 11am daily (April through November, weather permitting)
- Express Café: 8am to 5pm daily
- Boat and Bike Rental: 10am to dusk (weather permitting)
- Subway Stop:
- 6 train to the 77th Street Station
- Location: 72nd Street and Park Drive North in Central Park, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-517-2233 *Call for most up-to-date hours and pricing
- Website: www.thecentralparkboathouse.com