Going out to some of the most exclusive New York City clubs can be intimidating and expensive. That's why taking advantage of free dance lessons around the city can prepare you for a night of club hopping.
Central Park Tango
Enjoy a one-of-a-kind outdoor milonga in the heart of Central Park. The dance lessons commence rain or shine, and on those wet, summer nights the lessons are held at the nearby Dairy in the park. Become an expert at this sexy, Latin dance to impress your friends or to simply enjoy with your partner. Lessons go from the first Saturday in June until the last Saturday in September.
- Location: At the Shakespeare Statue at the south end of the Mall; runs from 66th to 72nd Sts., New York, NY
- Phone: 212-726-1111
- Website: www.spicemedia.net/map-central-park-tango.html
- Hours: June through September: Saturdays from 6pm to 9pm
Dance Manhattan Studios
Once a month, the folks at Dance Manhattan host guest night where they offer a free dance lesson in various types of dance like samba, tango and swing. The best part is, afterwards they host a party and put on a dance performance. That's one of the best values you'll find in Manhattan: three activities for the price of nothing.
- Location: 39 West 19th St., 5th Floor, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-807-0802
- Website: www.dance-manhattan.com
- Hours: Dates vary, but all guest nights start at 8pm
Dancing Under the Stars
Gaze up at the stars as you learn some of the most popular ballroom dances like the rhumba, cha cha and swing. The first 45 minutes are completely free and are held from July until August. If you make it until August, you'll be treated to a finale filled with the music of One Night Stand.
- Location: Little Bay Park-Hockey Rink 208-52 Cross Island Parkway, Bayside, NY
- Phone: 718-352-4793
- Website: www.nycgovparks.org/parks/Q010A/events/2010/06/09/dancing-under-the-stars
- Hours: July and August: Wednesdays from 7pm to 8:30pm