New York City isn't the cheapest place to drink. And since most people won't turn down free alcohol before wandering out into the neon wonder of Broadway or the chic, artist-friendly compounds of SoHo, Pour is the perfect place to stop for some quality free wine or sake.
From Chardonnay to Zinfandel, Pour is certain to have numerous varietals to suit your pallet. Of course, you should always check to see what complimentary wines or sakes they are serving each night according to their weekly schedule. For classy pre-gaming fit only for the Big Apple and frugality suited to any wallet, Pour is a great spot to check out before exploring one the greatest cities in the world.
- Location: 321 Amsterdam Ave at 75th St, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-501-7687
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.pourwines.com
- Free Tasting Times: Monday through Friday: 6pm to 8pm, Saturday and Sunday: 4pm to 7pm
But, Pour isn't the only wine bar that offers free vino for the dedicated wino. Here are some other locations:
Acker Merrall & Condit Co.
Acker Merrall & Condit Co., which was founded in 1820, and is dubbed as "America's Oldest and Finest Wine Shop" has a variety of free tastings throughout the week and on Saturdays. They pride themselves not just on selling wine, but sharing their experiences about wine with their customers. They offer auctions, education, tastings and a wine club.
- Location: 160 West 72nd Street (between Broadway and Columbus), New York, NY
- Phone: 212-787-1700
- Free Tasting Schedule: home.ackerstore.com
- Free Tasting Times: Tastings usually take place on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 5pm to 7:30pm, and Saturdays from 2pm to 5pm.
67 Wine & Spirits
On Manhattan's Upper West side, 67 Wine & Spirits provides a wide selection of wine and tastings throughout the week. Their knowledge and general ambiance has won them rave reviews from many outlets and has secured their place as one of the most popular wine bars in the city.
- Location: 179 Columbus Ave. (at 68th St.) New York, NY
- Phone: 888-671-6767, 212-724-6767
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.67wine.com
- Free Tasting Times: Tastings usually take place on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 4pm and 7pm.
Big Nose, Full Body
Offering over 300 wines from all over the world, as well as some sake, this Brooklyn wine haven has daily free tastings, not to mention major discounts on various bottles of wine.
- Location: 382 7th Ave., Brooklyn, NY
- Phone: 718-369-4030
- Free Tasting Schedule: bignosefullbody.com
- Free Tasting Times: Monday through Friday: 5pm to 7pm, Saturdays: 4pm to 6pm
Bottlerocket Wine & Spirit
Bottlerocket is a funky wine shop in the Flatiron District that hosts a variety of fun events and workshops throughout the year. They've also hosted celebrity guests in the past, including Danny Meyer, Billy Collins, and Caitlin Leffel and Jacob Lehman, authors of Best Things in New York.
- Location: 5 W. 19th St. New York, NY
- Phone: 212-929-2323
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.bottlerocket.com
- Free Tasting Times: Every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 5pm to 8pm
Crush Wine & Spirits
Knowing that tasting is an integral part of learning about wine, Crush invites seasoned winos and novices to its weekly free Cocktail Hour.
- Location: 153 E 57th St. New York, NY
- Phone: 212-980-WINE
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.crushwineco.com
- Free Tasting Times: Fridays from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and special occasions on Thursdays.
Union Square Wines & Spirits
Not only does this world class wine bar serve wine from all over the world, it also has tastings for tequila, rum, vodka and champagne. Most of these are free, so check its schedule before heading down for one of its many events during each week.
- Location: 140 4th Ave. (at 13th St.) New York, NY
- Phone: 212-675-8100
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.unionsquarewines.com
- Free Tasting Times: Tastings usually take place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Tasting times vary, so check the event calendar before you stop by.
Mister Wright Liquors
Mister Wright Fine Wine and Spirits is a huge liquor store that offers a large selection of everything, from wines to spirits. They offer monthly specials, free wine tastings, and a "Wright" classroom.
- Location: 1593 Third Avenue, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-722-4564
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.misterwrightfinewines.com
- Free Tasting Times: Tastings usually take place on Thursday and Friday from 5pm to 8pm, Saturdays from 4pm to 7pm, and occasionally on Monday.
Ninth Avenue Vintner
Vintner is favorite local wine shop in TriBeCa that specializes in esoteric wines and interactive wine classes. They offer free tastings either Thursday or Friday, depending on when their vintners (wine merchants) will be on site.
- Location: 21 Warren Street, New York, NY
- Phone: 212-812-3999
- Free Tasting Schedule: www.ninthavenuevintner.com/calendar.html
- Free Tasting Times: Tastings usually take place on Thursday or Friday from 5pm to 8pm.
Ok, so it's not a wine shop or the swankiest of New York City restaurants, but for starving college students or travelers with shallower pockets, it's a great place for some really cheap Chinese food and all the free wine you can drink. Appetizers start at $1.95 and most entrees are under $10.
- Location: 1034 Amsterdam Ave. (at 111th St.) New York, NY
- Phone: 212-662-1800
- Website: www.columbiacottagenyc.com