It reduces greenhouse gas emissions, saves gas money, and can get you in shape. It is bicycling, and the sunny, warm climate of Hawai'i is ideal for those who want to pedal their way around the island.
When choosing a route, the degree of difficulty is completely up to you. If you simply want to cruise the streets and take in the scenery, you can find numerous bike lanes throughout town that provide comfortable riding. Or, if you want to get in a serious workout, you can circle the island on a ride of over 100 miles.
With its numerous mountain trails and paths, Honolulu is also hospitable to mountain bikers. For advanced cyclists, the Makiki watershed area contains several challenging trails. Steep cliffs, overgrown vegetation, and constant rainfall can make this area very treacherous.
Of course, like many other cities across America, Honolulu is constantly looking at ways to improve relationships between bikers and motorists. Most major roads downtown have designated bike lanes, although the number of bike lanes decreases further from town. One of the steps Hawai'i has taken to become bike-friendly is to equip all city buses with bike racks, so any cyclist who decides to hitch a ride can easily hook a bike onto the next bus.
Throughout the year, various organizations put together different bike events. The Honolulu Century Bike Ride, for instance, is a laid-back, family-oriented event aimed at making sure everyone has a good time while promoting bike safety. Riders can sign up for distances of 20, 25, 40, 50, 75, or 100 miles.
To get serious about biking, check out the Hawai'i Bicycling League, Hawaii's largest biking organization whose mission is to promote biking in Hawaii.
Biking as a means of transport opens up new sights, sounds, and even smells that are impossible to detect from inside a car. Even if you haven't ridden since childhood, getting back into a groove is just like, well, riding a bike.
- • Hawai'i Bicycling League: www.hbl.org
- • Hawaii Pedal Power: www.hawaiipedalpower.com
- Bike Tours:
- • Bike Hawaii: www.bikehawaii.com
- • Tom Barefoot's Tours: www.tombarefoot.com/oahu/bike_hawaii.html
- • Bicycle Adventures: www.bicycleadventures.com/where/hawaii/
- Bike Stores:
- • Bike Shops Hawaii: www.bikeshophawaii.com
- • McCully Bicycle and Sporting Goods: www.mccullybike.com
- • Bike Factory Hawaii: www.bikefactoryhawaii.com
- Bike Paths and Maps:
- • Kailua Map from Bike O'ahu: www.hawaii.gov
- • O'ahu Road Biking by Trails.com: www.trails.com
- • Map of Mountain Bike Trails on O'ahu: www.mountainbikehawaii.homestead.com/files/Oahumap
- Bike Safety Tips:
- • Safety Tips by Bike O'ahu: www.hawaii.gov
- • Regulations and Safety Tips: www.oahubikeplan.org