Another shopping mall might not be a big deal for mainland visitors, but Ala Moana Center is the shopping destination for Hawai'i residents. Pickings are slim in the middle of the Pacific, so throngs of women and families hop inter-island flights to Oahu to indulge in the latest and greatest in designer, brand name, and specialty products such as apparel, accessories, and cosmetics.
Luxury bigwigs such as Juicy Couture, Prada, and Louis Vuitton have set up shop alongside Gap, Express, and Forever 21. Macy's, Nordstrom, and Sears provide mainstays among Hawaiian boutiques such as Blue Hawai'i Lifestyle and Hilo Hattie. Ala Moana Center also features the only Neiman Marcus, Burberry, and Build-A-Bear Workshop stores (to name a few of the various shops unique here) in the Hawaiian Islands.
If you are having trouble justifying a trip to the mall during your Hawaiian getaway, consider that this 50-acre center, featuring 290 merchants and 70 dining outlets, is the largest outdoor shopping mall in the world. The Keiki Hula Show takes place at the mall's Centerstage every Sunday, providing that extra touch of character and aloha. Plus, the beach is conveniently located right across the street.
- Monday through Saturday: 9:30am to 9pm
- Sunday: 10am to 7pm
- Makai Market opens at 9am daily
- *Department store, restaurant, and holiday hours may vary
- From Waikiki take TheBus 8, 19, 20, 23, or 42; From the North Shore take TheBus 52; From Honolulu International Airport take The Bus 19 or 20
- Location: 1450 Ala Moana Boulevard, Honolulu HI
- Phone: 808-955-9517
- Website: www.alamoanacenter.com