The charm and beauty of the coastal town of Del Mar drew a slew of Hollywood celebrities from the 1930s on, and for good reason, with its pristine 2.5 miles stretch of sandy beach and scenic views. But what really put it on the map was the construction of the Del Mar Fairgrounds and racetrack, built in 1937 by the Thoroughbred Club, including founding members Bing Crosby and Pat O'Brien, with Paramount Studios as corporate sponsor.
In recent years, this secluded resort has drawn upscale homeowners and their requisite multi-million dollar mansions, but the beaches and coastal areas still offer natural beauty and a relative crowd-free experience, at least compared to the southern beaches.
- • City Of Del Mar: www.delmar.ca.us
- • Del Mar on Wikipedia: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Mar,_California
- • Del Mar Thoroughbred Club: www.dmtc.com
- • San Diego County Fair, Del Mar Fairgrounds: www.sdfair.com
- • Del Mar Historical Society: www.delmarhistoricalsociety.org
- • Del Mar Community Connections: www.dmcc.cc
- • Del Mar Neighborhood Guide: www.sandiego.org
- • Del Mar Regional Chamber of Commerce: www.delmarchamber.org