Eclectic and diverse Hillcrest, north of Balboa Park, made it to the list of top ten great neighborhoods in America by the American Planning Association, and for good reason. Its central location ensures that almost everyone eventually traverses through it, even if headed elsewhere, but it maintains a small, pedestrian-friendly village feel.
It experienced successful urban renewal in the 1990s, and now has over 1,200 businesses, award-winning restaurants, trendy shops, and two hospitals. It is also the center of the city's gay and lesbian community.
Situated on top of a hill, residents also enjoy views of the Pacific Ocean, Downtown San Diego, and neighboring Balboa Park.
- • An Urban Guide to Hillcrest: www.hillquest.com
- • Hillcrest on Wikipedia: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillcrest,_San_Diego,_California
- • The Hillcrest Town Council: www.hillcresttowncouncil.com
- • History of Hillcrest: www.hillcresthistory.org
- • Save Hillcrest: www.savehillcrest.com
- • Uptown Partnership: www.uptownpartnership.org