Nestled in the affluent community of La Jolla, The Playhouse is an innovative theatre known for turning classical productions into contemporary masterpieces. Its mission is to provide a leading platform for artistic expression of international scope that stimulates conversation and inspires reaction.
This non profit venue was established in 1947 and has long been respected as a diverse and modern stage under the direction of outstanding artistic leadership. The La Jolla Playhouse was honored with the Tony Award for America's Outstanding Regional Theatre in 1993. Productions have included Billy Crystal's 700 Sundays, Randy Newman's Faust, and the West Coast premier of Rent.
The Playhouse is active in the San Diego community, and offers a variety of educational resources for children and teens who wish to learn more about the creative arts. School programs, workshops, and summer conservatories inspire and enrich youths interested in performance or behind the scenes action.
In typically provocative Playhouse fashion, post-performance reaction forums are open to explore themes and issues through discussion on several nights of the week, usually involving a cocktail or two. Expect things to get lively, as the crowd is eclectic and educated. On Sundays, an "Out and About" brunch is hosted for the Gay, Lesbian, Bi-sexual, and Transsexual community featuring Tommy Bahama Rum cocktails and an ocean view. The 2pm matinee show follows shortly afterward.
- Box Office Hours (when performances are taking place):
- Sunday and Monday: 12pm to 7pm
- Tuesday and Wednesday: 12pm to 7:30pm
- Thursday through Saturday: 12pm to 8pm
- Box Office Hours (when performances are not taking place):
- Monday through Saturday: 12 to 6pm
- Sunday: Closed
- Ticket Prices:
- Range from $36 to $62 Based on days and areas. Preview performances range from $29 to $45
- Location: 2910 La Jolla Village Drive La Jolla, CA
- Box Office: 858-550-1010
- Website: www.lajollaplayhouse.org