Northgate has seen several facelifts and renovations in recent years. Once the site of a dilapidated mall and failing specialty shops, Northgate has become one of the best shopping and dining destinations in Seattle.
The area takes its name from Northgate Mall, an expansive shopping center that includes popular national brands such as Barnes & Noble and Nordstrom along with specialty local shops like Fuego. Recent renovations brought outdoor thoroughfares and fine dining options, including Stanford's Restaurant, which features steaks and classic American fare. Relax after shopping with a frothy pint at The Ram Restaurant & Brewery where a variety of seasonal beers are brewed on the premises.
Just south of the mall is Thornton Place, which features additional stores and dining options, including fine jewelry and sushi. Grab a burger and a shake at Five Guys Burgers or sample fine seafood at Tengu Sushi. The main attraction at Thornton Place is the 14-screen Regal Theater, with stadium seating and an IMAX screen.
Bordering the north side of the mall is the aptly named Northgate Way, an east-to-west avenue featuring even more shops and restaurants. Try authentic Indian cuisine at Masala or load up on everything from sushi to pizza at Super Buffet.
Though most visitors to Northgate come for the shopping, there is far more to this northern neighborhood. Enjoy a quiet moment reading under a canopy of evergeens in the quaint Victory Creek Park. Head to Mineral Springs Park for a game of frisbee golf, or frolf as those in the know call it. If frolf doesn't burn enough calories, stop by the Seattle Athletic Club for a long swim or a yoga session. Parks and community centers give Northgate personality beyond parking lots and shopping bags. Northgate functions as the center of a large and culturally diverse portion of the Seattle population. Visitors will appreciate the combination of expansive shopping center with authentic neighborhood charm and local color.
- • Northgate Mall: www.simon.com/mall/?id=236
- • Barnes & Nobles Northgate: store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2280
- • Nordstroms: shop.nordstrom.com
- • Stanford's Restaurants: www.theram.com/index.shtml
- • The Ram Restaurant & Brewery: www.theram.com/index.shtml
- • Five Guys Burgers: www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx
- • Thornton Place: www.thornton-place.com
- • Masala Indian Cuisine: www.masalaofindia.com
- • Super Buffet: www.superbuffetseattle.com
- • Seattle Public Library: www.spl.org
- • Victory Creek Park: www.seattle.gov/parks
- • Mineral Springs Park: www.cityofseattle.net/parks
- • Seattle Athletic Club: www.seattleathleticclubnorthgate.com