The capital has many indoor rinks of varying size and two outdoor rinks open during the winter months:
National Gallery of Art Ice Rink - Sculpture Garden Ice Rink at the National Gallery of Art is an extraordinary resource and a great experience. Located in the National Gallery Sculpture Garden across from the National Gallery of Art on the National Mall, the ambiance and views of art sculptures and gardens are stunning. The rink is open mid-November through mid-March, depending on the weather.
The Pershing Park Ice Rink - The Pershing Park Ice Rink is located in a small downtown park just two blocks from the White House at 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, NW. It's a family-oriented rink and provides metal "walkers" for unseasoned skaters. It is also open in the evening, unlike the Sculpture Garden Ice Rink, although it does not have quite the elegant ambiance as does the Sculpture Garden.
- 1. Sculpture Garden Ice Rink:
- Hours: Monday through Thursday: 10am to 9pm, Friday and Saturday: 10am to11pm, Sunday: 11am to 9pm. Two hour skate sessions start on the hour every hour.
- Admission: Adults: $7, Children (12 & under), Seniors and Students (with ID): $6, Skate Rental: $3 (skates start with toddler size 6).
- Location: National Mall between 3rd and 7th Streets at Constitution Avenue NW, Washington DC. (Note that during evening skate hours, the National Gallery of Art and the Sculpture Garden are closed. The ice-skating rink is then accessible only though the entrances at Constitution Avenue and Madison Drive near 9th Street.)
- Phone: 202-737-4215
- Website: www.nga.gov/ginfo/skating.shtm
- 2. Pershing Park Ice Rink:
- During the winter months, Monday through Thursday: 11am to 9pm, Friday: 11am to 11pm, Saturday: 10am to 11pm, Sunday: 11am to 7pm
- Admission: Adults: $6.50, Children and Seniors: $5.50. Skate Rentals are $2.50
- Location: 14 and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington DC
- Phone: 202-737-6938
- Website: www.pershingparkicerink.com